I mentioned in the last post that I’d registered for Samantha Kira’s Wish Journal Workshop, so as promised, I’ll tell you a little more about it, and how it’s going so far.
I deliberated about it for a few weeks. On the one hand, I’ve been following her work and her YouTube videos for a little while, and I really enjoy them. Plus, I just love her spirit and helpful nature. Not to mention her art is lovely. However, I’ve been dancing on the edge of “broke.” Not there yet, but between TWO car repairs and computer issues, Christmas gifts, valentines, and a birthday (ok, and some personal indulgences) I had dipped heavily into my savings. I had put my spending on hiatus (aside from gas money). But… it was only $20 (as compared to the $45-$70 range I often see). And it was her first paid workshop, so I really really wanted to support her. I decided I’d get an outside opinion. So I explained the situation, and then the conversation went something like this:
Koby: I think you should but first you need to promise not to get frustrated or give up.
Cassandra: I promise.
Cassandra: *offers her pinky*
Koby: Put your hand on your heart and cross your eyes.
Cassandra: *covers her heart and stares at her nose*
Koby: Now repeat after me. “Spiders snakes and a lizards head–“
Cassandra: “Spiders snakes and a lizards head–“
Koby: “If I quit, I’ll die till I’m dead.”
Cassandra: “If I quit, I’ll die till I’m dead.”
And there you have it. I’m bound by oath and pinky-promise to finish the class, and to remain in a cheery, positive mood. Thus far, I have!
Right now, I’m finishing up the page backgrounds. I mixed a full bottle of two new colors for myself to use as base colors (well, and in future projects too!) My three base colors are a lovely creamy “Jade” sort of color, a grayed lilac mauve sort of color, and a gold/suede sort of color (ok, I mixed that too because “honey brown” was too bright in comparison with the dreamy feel of the other two.) I may later accent with my awesome “berry wine” color. It’s so pretty.
For the background collaging, I’ve been using book pages, graph paper, lined paper, security envelope linings, junk mail, and scallops cut from a lovely peacock colored advert I’d collected years ago (Now I wish I’d collected more– this used the last of it.)
At first, I thought I’d stay one-sided, as Samantha Kira suggests, but looking at the pages once they were cut, I just knew I wanted ALL the pages painted (which IS an option). I’m trying to follow her directions as much as possible, and do the project her way (at least the first time through) so I don’t miss anything simply because I think I won’t like it. But in this case… I really do love the way the pages are coming out! I’ve gotten the back sides collaged, but not painted yet.
Cutting the pages I was a little bit worried about (I think it was Samantha that said in a video that there should be a class for artists on using X-Acto knives. I definitely need it!) It turned out that, though the poster boards came from the same two packages, bought at the same time from the same store, they were NOT evenly cut. (Also… either I did something REALLY bizarre with one of them, or one package did not actually have 5 like it said. Oh well.) I’m not sure if precisely exact edges matter, but I used my mini binder clips, ruler, and X-Acto knife to trim the edges until they were even. I lost a quarter inch on each side, and strained the muscles in my hand (apparently the muscles used in holding down a ruler are fairly weak) but I did it with no major mishaps, crooked lines, or blood-spill.
Some favorite pre-paint collage bits.
Tomorrow (or perhaps tonight before bed) I’ll paint the back sides, and then I’ll be ready to fold and bind my pages. Yay!